Monday, February 6, 2012

9 weeks - Bikini Competition & Living Well On the Road

Hey guys!

As always, I hope you had another fantastic week! I am now at about nine weeks out. Started with posing this past weekend! It's important to have someone help you with posing who knows what ways are best to present your physique. There are many different ways you can position yourself to showcase your fine points. I will know more once more of the weight comes off but it was a great first run. I am down about 7 pounds from my starting weight from beginning of January which is good considering I am putting on some muscle. This coming week I am cutting down cardio and increasing the weight! Time to 'get buff'. This past week (week 10) was spent on the road for me. I also ordered my shoes! We are sticking with something simple that does not wrap around the ankle to prevent a 'cut off' look from the ankle to the lower leg. This is what my coach picked out:




Onto getting in done while on the road..

I had to be in Austin for work from Sunday to Thursday. I still managed to get in my two workouts a day and stick to my meal plan. That being said, I know a lot of people who have crazy hours or are always traveling for work so I decided to give some tips that may be helpful.

The most important thing to do while traveling is to be prepared. Packing food is like packing clothes. You have to pack for each day like you would with your outfits. If you are not committed to dinners or lunches bring foods that you can eat on the go or in your room. My insulated lunch bag makes it very easy to bring my food with me whenever I am on the go (which is about 99% of the time). I also have a large insulated bag that I pre prepared everything with and stored inside:


Most hotels will have a mini fridge, and if they dont you can usually rent one from the front desk for  a small fee (it was $10 for the week).

If you do not have the luxury of eating your own pre made meals and you have no choice but to eat out you can pretty much find protein and veggies on any restaurant menu. Skip the breads and appetizers and make sure you can order a healthy meal.

Some examples of things you can pre make and pack:

Turkey Wraps
Nuts
Lettuce (keep dressing separate for salads)
Fruit - bananas, apples, pears
Canned Tuna
Pre cooked chicken breast
raw vegetables- carrots, broccoli, celery
peanut butter + sugar free jelly sandwich
oatmeal bars

My diet is a bit different due to competition prep so I pre cook and separate everything in tupperwear.
But thats just to give you an idea.

Lets talk about fitness!

Workouts on the road..

I am very thankful that I had a gym in the hotel I was staying at so I utilized that. It had a pretty decent weight room so I could still do what I needed to do and modify when I had to.

If you do not have access to a gym while on the road, plyometrics and body weight exercises are going to be your best bet. Here is a good sample of an exercise you could do right in your room!

30 squat jumps
25 pushups
25 dips (on a chair)
20 burpies
30 1 legged lunges (15 per leg)
  **One foot back on the bed or a chair

Repeat for a total of three rounds

After you complete this, go get your cardio on outside! Its always nice to get out of the hotel, especially if you are in a cool place. Running around downtown Austin was so awesome!

Hope this is helpful to those of you who are busy bees traveling around all the time for work or whatever else. Remember self discipline is key. No excuses.

Stay blessed!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment